Gluten/Dairy Free, Paleo-Friendly Brownies!
By popular demand, the recipe you’ve been waiting for…
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1” pieces, steamed and peeled
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup honey, raw
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp baking soda
- 1 cup cacao superfood powder, unsweetened (or you can use unsweetened cocoa powder, your preference)
- 2 tbsps coconut flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips, dark
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 365 F.
- Combine and mash the sweet potato, banana, 1/2 avocado, eggs, vanilla in a large bowl.
- Gently melt honey and coconut oil and then add to large bowl with other ingredients.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and coconut flour and stir. Stir this into the wet mixture until well combined.
- Line an 8×8 cake pan with parchment paper or grease with coconut oil (or grass-fed butter!).
- Spread the batter in the pan, and bake for 30-40 minutes. Brownies are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Be careful not to over bake!
- All the brownies to cool before removing from the pan.
- To make the icing, combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a pan on the stove. Heat over low heat until melted and stir in the vanilla.
- Allow to cool completely (you can put it in the fridge for 15 minutes or so to speed up the process), and then whip with a whisk until fluffy. Spread over cooled brownies before dividing into servings.
Personal Note: The frosting was the coolest part to witness how it truly fluffs up in about 15 seconds once the chocolate, coconut and vanilla reach a certain temperature. I let it cool completely and yes re-fluffed with a whisk to soften it up. I use my hands a lot when cooking and for the application of the frosting, using the warmth from my hands helped to spread it evenly and without breaking apart the brownie over the entire thing. You can also pour the melted chocolate icing over brownies and allow it to all cool together. Personally, I enjoy eating the warm brownies with melted chocolate frosting.